The Heron Armchair is a British design and made easy chair from the Ernest Race Heritage collection. It's that perfect home leisure seating solution that will fit into the study, conservatory or bedroom. The Heron chair was the must-have piece of the post-war modernist home and can still be today. Choose to have your Heron Chair upholstered in either fabric, leather or vinyl, available in 8 different price bands.
Are you refurbishing your office or sourcing furniture for a new office project?
At furnify we can assist you in the planning of your office space and help choose the right furniture suited to your needs.
We also offer discounts on all office projects and bulk purchases.
Feel free to give us a call on 0207 632 7573.
- This item is built to order as it enables us to deliver unique designer products at outstanding value
- Dispatch is when we ship the item to our delivery partners who handle final delivery
- Delivery should be within 2 working days of dispatch for mainland UK (up to 14 days for Offshore, Highlands, Islands and Ireland)
- If the items are delivered damaged or faulty please make a note when signing for it and take a photo if possible. Then please report it withing 48 hours to [email protected] where we can arrange to get in contact.
- You do not have the right to change your mind in respect of any products that are made to your specification or are clearly personalised.
The Heron Armchair is one of two easy chairs in the Ernest Race collection which experimented with new materials in the post-war modernist era. It’s a British design and made leisure chair that holds its own when compared to furniture design classics like Charles and Ray Eames or Eero Saarinen.
The chair design could be described as complex, from its inception just upholstering Heron proved challenging. The techniques required to cover the chair were so technical that when the factory relocated to Sheppey in 1962, Heron was discontinued due to the lack of skilled upholsterers in the area. Even by today’s standards, it’s still considered a challenge to upholster.
Manufacturing Heron required a few innovations to be able to fit the human form and deliver seating comfort. The most significant of them all was the use of Latex foam on a steel frame. Latex foam was invented in 1929, and only after the war was it widely available to the domestic furniture market. The introduction of Latex foam meant Race could abandon the traditional upholstery techniques of springing and stuffing. The combination of Heron's latex foam cushioning and generous seat proportions allow the user to sit in a few different ways.
Dimensions & Details
|Guarantee||All Ernest Race Heritage products come with a 5 Year warranty.|
|Upholstery||Can be upholstered in fabric, leather and vinyl.|